4 cups of water
1/4 tsp salt
5 large new potatoes (1 1/2 Ibs) unpeeled, scrubbed and halved.
1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and diced.
1 1/2 Ibs beets, trimmed to 1 inch of greens, and roots left attached.
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
fresh Dill vinaigrette (recipe below)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp of prepared horse radish
1 large hard-cooked egg
chopped dill greens for garnish
FRESH DILL VINAIGRETTE
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper (to taste)
– whisk all ingredients together
1) Boil potatoes in 2 cups of water with salt for 20 minutes. cool, and cut into bite sized pieces.
2) Boil beets in 2 cups of water for 30-40 minutes. cool, slip off skins, slice crosswise and set
3) When beets and potatoes are being cooled, whisk together the vinaigrette.
4) In a medium bowl toss potato, cucumber, onion, celery, with a few Tbsp of dill vinaigrette.
5) In another medium bowl toss the beets with a few Tbsp of vinaigrette.
1) Arrange beet slices around the outside of a large serving plate, mound potato mixture in the center of the beets (drizzle more dressing onto potatoes if needed).
2) Combine sour cream and horseradish, and spoon on top of potatoes.
3) Garnish with chopped egg and dill sprigs