3 medium beets with leafy tops
2 Tablespoons salad oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
2 cups shredded red or green cabbage
1/4 cup lemon juice
2-1/2 Tablespoons dill weed
6 cups vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1. Peel and coarsely chop (or shred) beets. (Only chop good leaves)
2. Heat oil in a 5-quart stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots. Cook, stir occasionally, until vegetables are soft. (approx. 10 mins.)
3. Add beets and tops, cabbage, lemon juice, sugar, dill, and stock; bring to a simmer.
4. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until beets and cabbage are tender. (approx. 45 mins.)
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Garnish each serving with dollop of yogurt.