2 cups water
1 1/4 tsp salt
6 medium new red potatoes (about 2 Ibs), unpeeled, scrubbed, and halved
1/4 green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
1/2 cup fresh peas
6 green onions, including some tender green tops, sliced
6 fresh basil leaves, slivered*, plus whole leaves for garnish
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Nasturtium flowers for garnish (optional)
*To sliver basil (called chiffonade), roll several leaves together tightly, and thinly slice.
1) Bring water to an oil in a medium saucepan, add 1/4 tsp of the salt, and lower heat to medium. Cook potatoes, covered for about 20 minutes, or till they are tender.
2) Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon, cool under cold running water, and set aside.
3) Add beans to the same water and cook until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
4) Add the peas and cook 2 minutes longer. Cool vegetables under cold running water and drain.
5) Cut each potato half in half again and slice. Put potatoes, beans, peas, green onions, and slivered basil in a large bowl.
6) In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, mustard, remaining 1 tsp salt, and pepper. Add to vegetables and stir well until combined.
7) Cover and refrigerate several hours. Serve cold or at room temp, garnished with whole basil leaves and nasturtium flowers, if desired.