Preparation time: about 1 hour, after the squash is cooked and puréed. You can use pumkin, red kuri, kubocha, delicata, buttercut, or butternut.
4 cups cooked squash or pumpkin, mashed or puréed
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
2 small bell peppers (1 red and 1 green, if possible), minced
4 or 5 medium cloves garlic, minced
black pepper and cayenne, to taste
1/2 cup firm yogurt
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
optional: sunflower seeds and/or minced walnuts, for the top
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the mashed or puréed squash in a large bowl.
3. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add onion, and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add salt and bell peppers. Sauté about 5 more minutes, or until the peppers begin to get soft.
4. Add garlic, black pepper, and cayenne, and sauté a few more minutes.
5. Add the sauté, along with yogurt and feta, to the squash, and mix well. Spread into an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan; sprinkle the top lightly with sunflower seeds and/or minced walnuts.
6. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
Serves 4 to 5.