1-2 lbs. turnips (and/or rutabaga, potato, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi)
1 clove garlic
3 TBLS butter
1 TBLS parsley, minced
pepper, to taste
1/2 cup milk or light cream
1/4 cheese, grated
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1. Steam the veggies until just fork tender (just a few minutes) adding them to the steamer in a way that the longer cooking veggies go in first.
2. Rub a shallow baking dish or deep pie dish with the garlic cut in half or with garlic mashed in a garlic press.
3. Rub butter around the baking dish.
4. Arrange all the veggies in the buttered dish and sprinkle with parsley and pepper.
5. Pour the milk or cream over them. Sprinkle with cheese then bread crumbs and finally dot the whole affair with butter.
6. Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes or until top begins to brown a bit.