3 Garden cucumbers, halved length-wise, seeded, and thinly sliced*
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup chopped green onions, including some tender green tops
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
Freshly ground pepper
*Garden cucumbers are not waxed and do not need peeling, unless desired.
1) Arrange cucumber slices in 3 layers in a shallow bowl, sprinkling each layer lightly with some of the salt.
2) Lay a paper towel on top of the cucumbers and place another bowl on top to weigh them down.
3) Let stand 1 hour at room temp.
4) Rinse cucumbers, pat them dry with towel, and put in a clean medium bowl.
5) In a small bowl, stir together green onions, sour cream, sugar, vinegar, and pepper to taste.
6) Add mixture to the cucumbers and mix well. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.