1 lb. green beans
2 TBSP peanut or sesame oil
1 small shallot, minced
3 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 medium red Chile like jalapeno, thinly sliced
2 TBSP soy sauce
1. Trim ends off beans and snap in half.
2. Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Add the beans and blanch until bright green, about 3 minutes. Shock in ice water and then drain in a colander.
3. Heat large wok over high heat. Add oil, then shallots, garlic, ginger, and Chile. Stir a bit until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add green beans and stir thoroughly to coat the beans with oil. Sauté for a few more minutes until the beans start to caramelize.
5. Add soy sauce, stir, and cook a few minutes more. Beans should still be a little crisp.
1. Toasted sesame oil drizzled on at the end would be amazing.
2. Don’t have a shallot? Use more garlic.
3. Use more or less chile depending on your tolerance.